Dear VCP Community,
We are so excited for our first day of the 22-23 school year. We look forward to seeing all students bright and early tomorrow for our 7:30 am start.
Take good care,
August 8: First day of school!
August 15 Senior Year Kick-Off Event @ 5:30 pm (see 12th grade announcements)
August 20, 2022 Senior Parking Lot Painting 8:30am – 12:30 pm
August 29th After school programming begins (see FACE Announcements)
Effective Consent Overview
Valor has adopted a specific “effective consent” definition to help educate our community how to keep ourselves and others safe, but also to make it clear for all parties what would constitute a Valor policy violation. The most important elements of this definition will be shared with students on 8/16 during Mentoring. The handout they will review is included here and the entire definition is included in our Title IX policy on our website. If you have questions about this definition or process please reach out to Daren Dickson at email@example.com
HS Off Commitment Matrix
While this was included in our Community Agreements, in the interest of transparency, here is a link to our HS Off Commitment Matrix.
First Day of School
We look forward to seeing you on our first day of school for all students on Monday, August 8th!
If you are new to Valor 9th, 10th, or 11th graders and were not able to attend orientation on Saturday, July 30th, we have a recorded video of the main presentation. If you weren’t able to attend, please watch the video presentation about our culture, academics, and operations!
FAMILY ENGAGEMENT/VFG VALOR FAMILY GROUP ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Let’s Get Involved !!!
We are looking for families that would like to work together to enrich the school community. All are invited and welcome to be involved with the VFG at a level of commitment that works for you. The VFG Leadership team is composed of representatives from each campus and from subcommittees that promote a variety of interests and initiatives. Please take a moment to complete the survey below with your interest https://bit.ly/VFGInterest
For more information please contact Alexis Morris- firstname.lastname@example.org.
FACE: FINE ARTS, CLUBS & ENRICHMENTS ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Boys and Girls Club will be onsite at The Compass Center, registering scholars from 8:00 am to 9:30 am, Monday, August 8th-Friday August 15th.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMMING STARTS MONDAY AUGUST 29TH!
Registration for the 2022 Fall after-school Fine Arts, Clubs, & Enrichment (FACE) programming is now open!
High school students have been emailed the link to sign up for programs. Program leaders will reach out to parents and students to collect more information, or to accept scholars into their program. Scholarships are available for families demonstrating financial hardships.
Limited Availability of Scholarships
FACE believes in providing every scholar with the experiences and adventure our after school programming offers, so we have made available a limited number of scholarships to cover programming fees. To apply for a scholarship, please fill out our Scholarship Request Form.
Valor Theater Troupe is back in Action!
International Thespian Society Troupe #9234 has a new director and signups are now open! This theatrical honor society meets for 1-hour per week where you’ll have an opportunity to learn more about acting, improvisation, tech theater, and engage in meaningful community service projects! For more information please contact email@example.com
After-School Program Manager
Our recently hired after school programs manager has resigned to take on a director’s position with another organization. Though this comes as a bit of a surprise, we do wish her the best in her new endeavor.
What does this mean for after school programming?
While we repost the role and explore new candidates, we will be working diligently to ensure that there is no gap in programming roll out. Fortunately, FACE has strong systems in place specifically for program roll out and we do not foresee any hitches in launching this year’s lineup of programs.
Vex Robotics Needs You!
Have you always wanted to know how robots are built & programmed? Well we have just the opportunity for you! Vex Robotics is seeking parent-volunteers to help after school with supervising our award winning robotics teams. Very low lift, lots of fun watching students build, program, test, and compete with their robots! Contact Jessica Weakley (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jennifer Sternberg (email@example.com) for more information.
If you are interested in participating in school sports, please refer to this announcement for more information.
9TH GRADE ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- WYA… “Get to CAMP WIDJIWAGAN, 9th Grade Retreat!”
- When: Thursday, September 8th at 11:30AM to Friday, September 9th at 4PM
- Where: YMCA CAMP WIDJIWAGAN, 3088 Smith Springs Rd, Antioch, TN 37013, PHONE: (615) 360-2267
- How: Students will be transported via bus from Valor to camp and back!
- YMCA Liability Form: Please print the YMCA Liability Form,complete and sign the form for your student in order to attend. Please scan and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop at the front office with Ms. Spriggs.
- If your student takes prescribed medications: Please print the VCA Medication Administration Form complete and sign the form for your student in order to attend. Please scan and submit to email@example.com or drop at the front office with Ms. Spriggs.
- THERE WILL BE A PRE-TRIP INFO SESSION LED BY MR. ALEXANDER ON ZOOM AT 6PM ON AUGUST 29th. <Link to follow in next week’s update>
- LINK TO 9th RETREAT ORIENTATION SLIDE DECK
10TH GRADE ANNOUNCEMENTS
No announcements this week!
11TH GRADE ANNOUNCEMENTS
No announcements this week!
12TH GRADE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Senior Year Kickoff Meeting
Please join us for a senior year kickoff meeting on Monday, August 15th. This will be held in the VCP Dining Hall from 5:30 – 7:00 pm. The meeting is optional, but we highly recommend one caregiver from each family attend. The meeting will be split in two parts:
- Senior Year Timeline & Events
- Overview of Post-Secondary Process
- Senior capstone
- Senior trip
- Post-secondary supports
Please reach out to Sarah Giblin with any questions about this meeting.
Timeline for Senior Year Events
We are excited to announce our senior programming for the Class of 2023. There will be more information shared at our senior year kickoff meeting on 8/15. This list is not exhaustive, but includes some of the milestone events for the year!
- August 15th: Senior Year Kickoff Event (where this list will be covered in detail + other key information for seniors and their caregivers)
- August 20th: Parking lot painting from 8:30 – 12:30 pm
- August 26th: Food Truck Friday
- September 23rd: Food Truck Friday
- October 5th: Meeting with Josten’s for senior swag / class ring, graduation announcements / regalia / etc (during school, recorded for caregiver viewing)
- October 6th: Senior Yearbook Ads + Baby Photos Due
- October 21st: Food Truck Friday
- November 18th: Food Truck Friday
- January 27th: Food Truck Friday
- February 24th: Food Truck Friday
- March 7th: Senior Cookout
- March 9th: Senior fees due
- April 21st: Food Truck Friday
- April 28th: Junior / Senior Prom
- May 5th: Last day of academic classes for seniors
- May 8th – May 10th: Senior Week Events (in Nashville)
- May 8th: Decision day (tentative)
- May 10th – May 12th: Senior Trip (dates are tentative and could shift based on trip availability)
- May 19th: Senior Sunset Dinner
- May 21st: Graduation at Gaylord Opryland
Senior Sunrise and Parking Spot Painting Information
The senior sunrise event was amazing on 8/5. Thanks for everyone for attending. Please see information for parking lot painting which will take place on Saturday, 8/20 from 8:30 – 12:30 pm.
Senior Class Dues Update
As shared in the last week of school, senior fees for the class of 2023 are $175, and are due to be paid no later than Spring Break of the 2022 – 2023 school year. Similar to other areas at Valor – such as the 8th grade trip to Washington DC – there will be an opportunity for these dues to be paid in installments, an option to request financial assistance, and the opportunity to pay above the senior fee to help cover the cost of those requesting financial assistance. You can make your payment as early as today via myschoolbucks.com.
More information about senior fees, how to pay them, and other relevant information will be shared in the first Principal Update of the school year, as well as via email to seniors and their caregivers, and also will be covered in the Senior Year Kick-Off meeting scheduled for early August. Be on the lookout for more information about these dues at valorfamilynews.com and coming to your email inbox soon.