Wednesday, July 27th: Intro to Flagship and Voyager for New to Valor Family Event
Monday, August 1st: 5th-6th Grade Flagship Family Kickoff Event (5:30-7:30)
Tuesday, August 2nd: 7th-8th Grade Flagship Family Kickoff Event (5:30-7:30)
Monday, August 8th: First Day of School
Note from the Principal
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! For our new families, welcome to our community! For our returners, welcome back! We hope everyone has had a wonderful summer and looking forward to returning to school soon. We just started back with our teachers this week, it was a great first week. I can’t wait for our scholars and families to meet our teachers in the coming weeks and get started on another great year at Flagship!
In the meantime, we’ll start sending a principal update weekly on Sundays to get the ball rolling on our communication. Please don’t hesitate to reach out in the coming weeks!
– Mr. Gutter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Summer Family Engagement
We still have some summer family engagement events:
- Wednesday, July 27th: We’ll have our 2nd Intro to Flagship and Voyager for New to Valor Family Events at 6:00. This event is for new families who did not attend last week’s event to learn all about our middle schools.
- Monday, August 1st: Family Kickoff Event for 5th-6th grade families. This event is for all 5th-6th grade families to learn important information for the year and to meet all their scholars teachers. This event starts at 5:30!
- Tuesday, August 2nd: Family Kickoff Event for 7th-8th grade families. This event is for all 7th-8th grade families to learn important information for the year and to meet all their scholars teachers. This event also starts at 5:30!
Communication & Important Dates This Summer
You should expect to receive two important digital communication updates this summer in which we will funnel all-important communication into these. These communication dates and other important events are listed below:
- Tuesday, July 19th: community agreements for 22.23 are sent
- Sunday, July 24th: first principal update of 22.23
- Monday, August 1st – Thursday, August 4th: MS Family Kickoff Events
- Monday, August 8th: First day of school for all MS students
You can find versions of our 22-23 calendars below:
Student Support Update
As we launch into the 22-23 school year, we want to provide families with an update regarding our Student Support staff. Michelle Bancroft will be transitioning into the Associate Director of Student Supports (ADSS) role for the middle school. Michelle has previously taught our founding class in both 9th and 10th grade and has been in a Student Support leadership role at the high school for the past two years. She is excited to make the transition to middle school to serve our middle school team and families. If you have any questions or are wanting to connect further with Ms. Bancroft, please email her at email@example.com. She can answer any questions regarding your student’s specific support plan.
2022-2023 Meal Plan
As most of you are already aware, the statewide “all students eat free” program has officially ended. As a result Valor will be moving back to paid meals this year for those who don’t qualify for free or reduced meals. We are aware that MNPS will be using federal funding to support free meals for one more year, however, we are not covered under MNPS for this funding. We ask that everyone complete the FRL application that was included in the family community agreement. If you have any questions regarding the meal policy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
FACE: FINE ARTS, CLUBS & ENRICHMENTS ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Registration for the 2022 Fall after-school Fine Arts, Clubs, & Enrichment (FACE) programming is now open!
High school students have been emailed the link to sign up for programs. Program leaders will reach out to parents and students to collect more information, or to accept scholars into their program. Scholarships are available for families demonstrating financial hardships.
After-School Program Manager
Our recently hired after school programs manager has resigned to take on a director’s position with another organization. Though this comes as a bit of a surprise, we do wish her the best in her new endeavor.
What does this mean for after school programming?
While we repost the role and explore new candidates, we will be working diligently to ensure that there is no gap in programming roll out. Fortunately, FACE has strong systems in place specifically for program roll out and we do not foresee any hitches in launching this year’s lineup of programs.